I wanted to take the opportunity on the first day of October to share some fantastic pumpkin recipes with you. Pumpkin: it's not just for pie, ya'll. The first recipe that I'm going to share is one I got from my bestie over at the Geek and Glam blog for Pumpkin Chili
- 1 tbs EVOO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
- 1 lb ground meat (your choice, but ground beef and ground turkey work well)
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin, or 15 oz fresh pureed cooked pumpkin
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in large pan. Brown ground meat, and drain. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients, mixing well. Cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 3.
- When done serve with desired toppings, and warm crusty bread.
The second recipe that I wanted to share is one I came up with myself. I had roasted and pureed 2 pumpkins (I saved some for pie, some for chili and I had about 1 cup leftover). I also had some apple butter leftover that I canned last Fall, and needed to use. So, voila! I came up with a recipe for Pumpkin & Apple Butter muffins. They've been a huge success at my house, and I hope you enjoy them too!
Pumpkin & Apple Butter Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz pureed pumpkin
- 4 oz apple butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 and grease/place muffin cups into your muffin pan.
- Cream your butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. In another medium sized bowl mix together your flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Add your eggs and vanilla extract to your creamed butter and sugar and mix well. Add your pumpkin and apple butter to your wet ingredients, and mix.
- Add half of your dry ingredients to your wet, and mix until blended. Add in the second half of your dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Spoon your mixture into your muffin tin. This recipe can yeild either 12 large muffins (what I chose to do) or 24 regular sized muffins.
- Bake at 375 for 20 min or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.