This is generally the time of year when new resolutions are made, goals are set, and gym memberships are purchased. I usually make a specific resolution, and it generally regards my weight or physical appearance. This year before I made a resolution I took stock of my life. My family and I are generally healthy (well, except for the recent tummy troubles), we have a roof over our heads, no one is hungry, no one is scared, and no one is hurt. We don't have a lot of money, but we always pay our bills on time and have enough left over for little luxuries like HBO and yearly vacations. I am truly grateful for what I have in life, and who I have to share it with.
That being said, there is always room for improvement. My husband and I are not the kind of people who can say "this is as good as it's going to get, so why try for better?". My new year resolution includes a subset of 8 goals for this year. My resolution is simply to do better and be better. Be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend. I want to manage our money better, and our time too. Just over-all general better-ness. The goals that I mentioned earlier are as follows:
- read 20 books *I re-read books I love often, but only new books will count toward my goal*
- lose 15 lbs. after the birth of my second son
- be accepted to a Grad school
- find at least 2 new ways to save money *not including cloth diapering and couponing*
- pay off 1 credit card and keep it at a 0 balance all year *by far the hardest goal*
- make more things from scratch and cut down even more than I already have on processed foods
- get Liam into a play group, and take him to the library at least once a week
- finish playing Lego Harry Potter years 5-7
I wish everyone out there who decides to make a resolution for 2014 good luck, and I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing on mine.