Cheesy Potato and Sausage Casserole
Serves 4-5 as written, easily doubled for larger families
- 1 large baking potato, diced or cut into small chunks
- 1/4 to 1/2 onion, diced (I use more onion, but use as much or as little as you like)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or about 2 handfuls)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 package Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage, diced (I used beef, but use whichever kind you prefer)
- 3 pats butter
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, sautee onions in 1 pat of butter until done or slightly caramelized.
2. Place cooked onions into a small baking dish. In the same pan, add remaining 2 pats of butter. Once melted, add potatoes. Sautee the potatoes until golden brown and cooked through, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place cooked potatoes into baking dish with onions. Add in diced smoked sausage, cheese, and sour cream. Mix well. Place in oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Your finished product will look something like this:
I served this casserole with steamed green beans w/almond slivers. You really don't need any bread or rolls because you already have a starch in your potato. My husband and I really enjoyed this dish (my son a.k.a "Mr. Picky" wouldn't even try it). The only ingredient that I don't always keep on hand and had to buy for this recipe was the smoked sausage, so it was very cheap to make.